The Story: Pilgrims and Wanderers

You can see this sermon and the service on the Zion UMC Facebook page by clicking here. Pilgrims and strangers We are pilgrims and the spiritual descendants of pilgrims, carrying on our own tradition of pilgrimage. We are spiritual wanderers from Father Abraham, a Bedouin herdsman to Moses, a wandering statesman to Elijah, a wanderingContinue reading “The Story: Pilgrims and Wanderers”

The Story: Vision

For the video click here. Let’s step into a story. The sun has not yet come up, but you know it is morning. You know it the way you know a storm is coming or the way you feel a person walking into the room when your back is to them. Maybe you feel theContinue reading “The Story: Vision”

The Story: Life and Then Some

It’s not what you think…it’s better. One of my favorite expressions is ‘adventures in missing the point.’ It’s a fun little phrase used to relay the idea that someone is misinterpreting or misunderstanding a situation. Most of the time people use it when someone does something ridiculously, obviously out of touch with the situation. KindContinue reading “The Story: Life and Then Some”

Help! My Reptile Brain is Eating My Mammal Brain!

Occassionally, but not often, I am a glutton for punishment. There may be some disagreement on this from people who know me who may say I’m always a glutton for punishment, but I try to think and act otherwise. In this case there was no argument; I was asking for it. It was last Friday.Continue reading “Help! My Reptile Brain is Eating My Mammal Brain!”

Getting Uncomfortable

Learning is a lifelong pursuit across many areas of our lives. As children, we start with some simple ideas and move forward from there: food goes in your mouth, don’t touch hot things, stop petting the dog’s teeth, and so on. We move from those things to more advanced things like tying your shoes orContinue reading “Getting Uncomfortable”

Improvisational Christianity

If you were going to choose a musical metaphor for Christianity, most people would say that Christianity is like an orchestra: the church is the players; the scripture, tradition, reason, and experience are the score; God is the conductor. For many people this works well because it is orderly and neat and wraps things upContinue reading “Improvisational Christianity”

Family, whether you need them or not…and you do

On three different occasions, I have had the responsibility of being the youth minister at a church. Twice, I was an associate pastor tasked with youth and worship ministry, the other time I was the pastor and took on the role of youth leader to get things started. In all three of these occasions, IContinue reading “Family, whether you need them or not…and you do”

Cleanliness

Read Mark 5:1-43 first. There is a sermon based on this here. For the Jewish people, clean and unclean are not matters of hygiene or morality but ritual. They are understood in relation to being ‘holy’ or set apart. Four categories of things can be unclean: certain foods, skin diseases, contact with dead people orContinue reading “Cleanliness”

Musings – The Gospel of Being

As a pastor, I hear a lot of criticism, from people inside and outside of the church. From the inside, I hear about things that are usually, let’s just be honest, petty – I don’t like so and so or so and so doesn’t need to be doing whatever or why don’t we do X,Y,Continue reading “Musings – The Gospel of Being”

Musings – Blank Canvas

Just slap anything on when you see a blank canvas staring you in the face like some imbecile. You don’t know how paralyzing that is, that stare of a blank canvas is, which says to the painter, ‘You can’t do a thing’. The canvas has an idiotic stare and mesmerizes some painters so much thatContinue reading “Musings – Blank Canvas”