The Road III

Getting Packed: The Image of Christ Imitation My father’s uncle, Burl, was an avid hunter and fisherman. He spent most of his free time either chasing animals through woods or chasing fish through the water. As a little kid, I heard stories of how he and his best friend, who was my grandfather on theContinue reading “The Road III”

What is a Methodist V

Wrestling not Rasslin’ Today I am going to tell you about the longest wrestling match in modern history. When I say wrestling, I mean actual wrestling not rasslin’. Rasslin’ is not a sport; it’s a glorified soap opera with costumed actors who do choreographed tumbling and gymnastics routines with one another. What I am talkingContinue reading “What is a Methodist V”

What is a Methodist I

I. What We Share with Others Share and Share Alike As human beings, we know something of who we are by where we came from. Many of us identify ourselves by both the place we were born and the family we were born into. Being a Jarrell from Marietta, Georgia is very different than beingContinue reading “What is a Methodist I”

Living VII: Unity

Being Catholic Liturgy can open the world to some interesting questions. The things we say and do as part of our worship services introduce ideas to people that they may never have heard before, especially if they have never been in a church as part of our denomination. Of course, sometimes people who have attendedContinue reading “Living VII: Unity”

Living III – Follow Me

Adjustments As most of you know, I like to eat. I mean, I really like to eat. Pick a food group, I have a favorite, especially where breads and sweets are concerned. When I was younger – much younger, I might add – I could eat ridiculous amounts of food without any apparent effect toContinue reading “Living III – Follow Me”

Will There Be Coffee in the Resurrection?

“Do you believe in the resurrection?” Tom Caldwell did not start our conversation with this. It started over whether I was a Pittsburgh native because I was wearing a Steelers jersey. I was standing in the lobby of the Litchfield Inn on Pawley’s Island, SC carrying on a conversation with Tom, whom I had knownContinue reading “Will There Be Coffee in the Resurrection?”